Trier: one photo at a time

Germany\’s oldest city through the eyes of a Kiwi

Die St. Gangolfskirche

The church of St. Gangolf

 

Overlooking the main market square in the heart of Trier is the Church of St. Gangolf, with its 62m tall steeple. The St. Gangolfskirche was first built starting in 958 AD, and replaced with a new design between 1284 and 1344. But the church as it stands today and as you see it here was not erected until the beginning of the 16th century. It is closed off from the hustle and bustle of Trier's market square by a walled courtyard, which provides a nice spot for quiet respite from all the comings and goings outside.

 

Am Hautpmarkt im Herzen Triers steht die St. Gangolfskirche, mit ihrem 62m hohen Kirchturm. Die St. Gangolfskirche wurde erstmals ab 958 AD erbaut, und dann zwischen 1284 und 1344 durch einen Neubau ersetzt. Aber die Kirche, samt Turm, sowie sie jetzt ist und so wie ihr sie hier seht wurde erst Anfang des 16. Jahrhunderts errichtet. Die Kirche wird durch einen Kirchhof mit hohen Steinmauern von der Hektik des Trierer Marktplatzes beschützt, so dass sie einen schönen Platz darstellt, wo man sich in Ruhe von dem ganzen Rumtreiben draußen in der Innenstadt erholen kann.

Sunday, 14 May, 2006 Posted by | Buildings | 2 Comments